Live!
Mon 19 Feb 2018
- The award-winning student news website of Imperial College

Know something you shouldn't? Tell us, using our quick, 100% anonymous tip-off form!

Discussion

Council approves "Fast-track" governance changes

The comments below are unmoderated submissions by Live! readers. The Editor accepts no liability for their content, nor for any offence caused by them. Any complaints should be directed to the Editor.
Jun 14 2005 17:29

Last night, ICU Council approved Constitutional changes with a single reading, including the creation of the Postgraduate Association and Sabbatical, and changes to Exec and Committees, but not including controversial changes to Council.

Click Here for the Full Article

Jun 14 2005 17:30

But there IS no Masterplan!

Jun 14 2005 17:49

I would like to draw your attention to paragraph 20 of the Constitution of Imperial College Union (page 8 if you're following along at home) where it states:

• 1) This Constitution may be amended by resolution of the Council,

passed by a two-thirds majority at two successive meetings, not less

than fifteen and not more than forty College days apart, with the

approval of the Imperial College Council.

• 2) The Regulations may be amended by resolution of the Council,

passed by two successive meetings, not less than fifteen and not

more than forty College days apart, with the second resolution

passed by a two-thirds majority, with the approval of the Imperial

College Council or its nominee.

Now you could claim exceptions or interpretation, but I am fairly sure that this section was intended to be concrete and unequivocal. It certainly doesn't say anywhere "you have to follow these rules only when convenient.", nor does it say that the Executive can propose disregarding the Constitution.

This all comes down to poor planning. If you plan a constitutional change, and to be honest I'm not disagreeing with all the changes, you must do so early enough in the year to allow for the proper procedure to be followed. Hurried constitutional change is usually bad constitutional change (and I've seen my fair share of them).

I really thought we'd seen the end of these shennanigans this year, I suppose that was too much to ask.

Add your comment:

If you can see this, something is broken (either with your browser, or with our system). Please leave the box below empty, or your comment will be considered to be spam.
Live!
Live!