Live!
Mon 19 Feb 2018
- The award-winning student news website of Imperial College

Know something you shouldn't? Tell us, using our quick, 100% anonymous tip-off form!

Discussion

UNITE Survey Highlights Growing Student Debt

The comments below are unmoderated submissions by Live! readers. The Editor accepts no liability for their content, nor for any offence caused by them. Any complaints should be directed to the Editor.
Jan 16 2007 13:08

A new survey by UNITE, the student accomodation provider, highlights increasing student debts and the need for financial advice.

Click Here for the Full Article

Jan 17 2007 21:45

Well, I think this is ironic these figures are coming from UNITE given their accommodation is pretty shoddy (flat pack bedroom, paper-thin walls, anyone?) and super-over-priced.

Given that college subsidise those members of Imperial who reside in Orient House or Piccadilly Court (both UNITE owned housing), we get a pretty good deal out of it. However, these people still pay nearly as much as for a single room in Beit.

I would hate to be the student who didn't catch the Imperial subsidy and had to pay in the region of 160-GBP a week to live in one of their boxes. There is accommodation of better quality to be found much closer to college for that price.

Jan 18 2007 04:11

I lived in Orient last year. Aside from the fact i would prefer the 'corridor' layout of Beit to the 'Flat' layout of Orient, it wasn't that bad. We had more space in our rooms, a sitting room, a well equipped kitchen with ten times as much storage as Beit, a TV licence paid for, a double bed, a modern ensuite bathroom (although mine was plumbed back to front- haha!). I prefer beit for its character and friendliness but the quality of the accomodation at Orient (despite looking like a IKEA show room) is not to be underestimated. Sure a few things fell apart (our dvd player, lamp and kitchen sink) but they got fixed very quickly.

As I understood it, the subsidy for Orient and Piccadilly is more to do with the fact they are so far away and so students had to pay for travel in addition (which most other fresher's don't unless they are lazy).

UNITE has a reputation for being shockingly bad, which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with. However, my personal dissatisfaction with Halls was certianly not down to the accomodation provided. More to do with the spirit of the people there.

Jan 21 2007 23:31

My dear Kirsty, you're wrong about the subsidy. I lived in Intercollegiate halls in russell square and wasn't subsidised-i paid the same as people studying down the road at lse.

Jan 23 2007 04:06

That's why I specifically stated (and quote):

"the subsidy for Orient and Piccadilly is more to do with the fact they are so far away and so students had to pay for travel in addition"

I did not comment on Intercollegiate Halls (which are not managed by Imperial and are therefore a completely different kettle of fish).

Add your comment:

If you can see this, something is broken (either with your browser, or with our system). Please leave the box below empty, or your comment will be considered to be spam.
Live!
Live!