Live!
Sun 24 Sep 2017
- The award-winning student news website of Imperial College

Know something you shouldn't? Tell us, using our quick, 100% anonymous tip-off form!

Discussion

NUS Conference Votes Against Imperial's HE Policy

The comments below are unmoderated submissions by Live! readers. The Editor accepts no liability for their content, nor for any offence caused by them. Any complaints should be directed to the Editor.
Apr 02 2008 19:54

A number of amendments on higher education funding went against Imperial at NUS conference, including one opposing national bursary schemes.

Click Here for the Full Article

Apr 02 2008 20:59

I told you so!

Apr 02 2008 21:22

So, when's the disaffiliation referendum?

We were sold on the NUS on a promise of having a national voice, and on reform. Has anyone even bought one of those NUS Extra cards?

This is a joke. We're basically paying for the likes of Camilla Royle to dabble in far-left politics.

Apr 02 2008 21:57

So that's a major policy gone and no sign of them changing in the future.. what else are they going to do to help our disaffiliation campaign??

Apr 03 2008 09:20

[http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2207402821 Start here]

Apr 04 2008 10:09

Well done to last year's "yes" campaign. They have certainly helped their CV and not benefited any of the Imperial students.

For some people, it's always about achieving the "nows" and not the "long term sustainable future".

Apr 04 2008 10:45

I don't think the arguments from last years yes and no campaigns are relevant now so I don't think that anyone from last years yes campaign should now be laughed at. We all thought the NUS would reform. The situation is now clearly different.

Apr 04 2008 11:01

Let's just cut our losses with the fees with paid and disaffiliate now. The NUS is such a joke; let it destroy itself.

Apr 04 2008 15:53

Dear well...,

Let's be clear with one thing. Not all of us thought the NUS would reform and I certainly remember saying I don't believe the NUS is capable of reforming. Hence your quote on "We all thought the NUS would reform" is simply untrue.

Apr 04 2008 16:04

We can't remember every single thing everyone ever said and it certainly doesn't stick in my mind. 8/9 delegates who went to conference expected the NUS to reform, perhaps we were too blinkered than to expect it to go any other way - but now we've learnt that you can never underestimate the crazies and sheep voting.

It's a really bad quality to gloat, keep it under your hat next time and you'll get a much better feeling out of it. And you should be pleased that we are now attempting to pull out, not slam us.

Apr 04 2008 16:13

Let's not start a personal attack. To be honest, i am not in college anymore, my personal opinion barely matters. I hope you can at least understand that.

Besides I am only pointing out a fact. I am not here to get any recognition; I am not sad enough to come back and head the No/Yes campaign. I just don't want people to put a generalised message online and hide behind a pen name without being questioned or unchallenged.

PS (so that you know) After the No campaign lost the vote. One of the most important thing the trio decided back then, was to ensure we get the most out of our membership and push for reform. I am not upset that we joined and should not necessarily be pleased that we are attempting to pull out. I am just disappointed that we might have wasted money and achieved nothing when the cash could have been better spent.

Apr 04 2008 16:25

Sorry James, I take it back, too much pent up anger from conference!

Apr 04 2008 16:52

To put a cat amongst the pigeons I think the NUS is capable of reform. There were only 25 votes in it and I know for a fact that 15 people sitting in the three blocks nearest me broke a mandate from their Union. Another question would be is it worth reforming?

13. Answer   
Apr 04 2008 17:01

Nope. As an organisation it cannot be taken seriously anymore. I believe that some sort of organisation is needed to represent students nationally, but at this stage in the NUS's life it would be easier and simpler to start afresh.

Apr 04 2008 17:05

As tabled.

15. yep   
Apr 05 2008 12:12

How about using all that effort and money to build the Aldwych Group (the Unions of the Russel Group Unis) into a powerful body that will truly represent our views and the views of other elite unis?

That surely would be worth a try, and we wouldn't have to deal with ridiculous loony leftists from dog-s**t ex-polys trying desperately to add something to their pitiful CVs.

Apr 05 2008 16:14

Good plan. I've been contemplating this for a while, but how do you build it into a "powerful body"? Why isn't it as powerful as the NUS?

1. Is it that the NUS can talk to organisations that the Aldwych group can't? - I don't think so.

2. Is it because less students are represented by the Aldwych group? Probably, but 2 mins after taking it beyond the Russel group we'll be passing policy on Palestine.

3. Is it that no one has heard of the Aldwych group? Possibly and a name change to something more definitive would help.

4. Is it that no one uses the Aldwych group? I strongly suspect that this is it but I don't know much about it. Do we take HE/Student Military Support/other student as student policy up to the Aldwych group? I take it we just send sabbs and no delegates.

Apr 05 2008 17:13

National Union of Sensible Students?

Apr 05 2008 21:31

It really doesn't matter what political party people are from but I think our new better national union for students (yes, I'm plotting it now, just figuring out where to get a few 100 thou to start us off) needs to adhere to sticking to the things that actually matter to students and where independent thought should be encouraged. What struck me at conference was how closed minded people were, there was no point in having discussion because everyones mind was already made up - or rather they had already been told which way to vote and so many people didn't know what they were voting on it made me really frustrated! argh! And if people weren't racist then they certainly were t shirt-ist! I think we should take Wes Streeting (NUS pres elect) with us to our new improved powerhouse though - he's cute!

Apr 05 2008 21:32

It really doesn't matter what political party people are from but I think our new better national union for students (yes, I'm plotting it now, just figuring out where to get a few 100 thou to start us off) needs to adhere to sticking to the things that actually matter to students and where independent thought should be encouraged. What struck me at conference was how closed minded people were, there was no point in having discussion because everyones mind was already made up - or rather they had already been told which way to vote and so many people didn't know what they were voting on it made me really frustrated! argh! And if people weren't racist then they certainly were t shirt-ist! I think we should take Wes Streeting (NUS pres elect) with us to our new improved powerhouse though - he's cute!

Add your comment:

If you can see this, something is broken (either with your browser, or with our system). Please leave the box below empty, or your comment will be considered to be spam.
Live!
Live!