Live!
Sat 25 Nov 2017
- The award-winning student news website of Imperial College

Know something you shouldn't? Tell us, using our quick, 100% anonymous tip-off form!

Discussion

Imperial First to Set £9k Fees

The comments below are unmoderated submissions by Live! readers. The Editor accepts no liability for their content, nor for any offence caused by them. Any complaints should be directed to the Editor.
Feb 15 2011 23:43

Imperial College London has become the UK's first university to announce tuition fees of £9,000.

Click Here for the Full Article

Feb 15 2011 23:44

Anyone wondering about my choice of picture should look here.

2. Hah!   
Feb 16 2011 00:04

Hahahaha! Just what our union wanted! Well done chaps!

Does O'Nions really believe the college offers excellence of education? Is he sure he isn't conflating research and teaching in his mind again.

Feb 16 2011 10:29

That made me laugh as well. But then again his job as Rector is to 'sell' the university, even if it involves gross exaggeration.

The research vs education bit is well highlighted, especially when one considers the Guardian ranking of Imperial which hovers closer to 10th not 3rd/4th, because they weigh research far less than teaching relative to the Times. Coupled with the fact Imperial's research output is the highest in the country, it makes one wonder how bad the teaching standard has to be to drag it down to 10th?

Even though I graduate this year, and even if the fees weren't going up, I'd still discourage everyone I know from coming to Imperial. If you can get into Imperial, you can get into Oxbridge. Take a year out and try again and get a real university education.

Feb 16 2011 11:02

Imperial hovers around 8th in guardian and has the 2nd highest research output in the UK, just behind Oxford :p

Just I thought correct you, but the sentiment is shared.

Feb 16 2011 23:51

"Does O'Nions really believe the college offers excellence of education? Is he sure he isn't conflating research and teaching in his mind again."

Are you sure you aren't conflating teaching with education?

"...because they weigh research far less than teaching relative to the Times."

Not just the Times, but nearly every other university ranking and the world in general.

I don't see what the problem is with giving a much greater weighting/priority to research than teaching. For a university teaching is clearly a lesser priority so I don't see why people should be moaning about that. Would people want it the other way round??

Feb 17 2011 07:56

Given that the fees are set to affect undergraduates, I would assume that the undergraduates are moaning about paying more for low quality undergraduate teaching because the research quality of a University only tangentially affects them.

If a University would prefer to treat itself as a research institution that is fine. But it should not hold up the pretence of an "excellent" undergraduate education.

7. well   
Mar 17 2011 21:56

go elsewhere and you might get better teaching... but...

you wont do as much work

you wont learn as much

you wont be as good a scientist or engineer

you wont have as good a name behind you

and you wont be as employable

dont you see... imperial dont need to be good at teaching...

Add your comment:

If you can see this, something is broken (either with your browser, or with our system). Please leave the box below empty, or your comment will be considered to be spam.
Live!
Live!