Live!
Mon 19 Feb 2018
- The award-winning student news website of Imperial College

Know something you shouldn't? Tell us, using our quick, 100% anonymous tip-off form!

Discussion

The Strike That Never Was

The comments below are unmoderated submissions by Live! readers. The Editor accepts no liability for their content, nor for any offence caused by them. Any complaints should be directed to the Editor.
Oct 12 2001 20:14

Everyone claims to be doing something about the trains. Everyone claims to be doing something about the tunnels. Isn’t it time someone starting doing something about the drivers?

Click Here for the Full Article

Oct 12 2001 23:25

The Jubilee line trains were originally designed to be driver-less I think. But, guess what - the unions forced them to be manned (or womanned?) trains. Maybe it's time to look into driver-less trains again. If a "monkey" can drive it, the computer can.

Failing that, lets set up a TubeSoc to provide reserve drivers...

(note - any paragraphs ending with ... tend to be my mad ramblings. Only the most extreme or nutty people should ever try and take them seriously).

Oct 14 2001 23:06

I was in KL (Malaysia) and Singapore over the Summer and was amazed by the efficiency of the subway systems out there. A lot of the metro trains were driver-less in KL and they always seemed to run on time. Plus the metro's a lot cheaper and cleaner than in London. I suppose it all comes down to the fact that our system is prehistoric and there's just too much that needs updating to bring it up to scratch.

How about a London monorail - I really think that could work...

Oct 16 2001 13:41

Fine, fine, whatever. But where is Andy Heeps?????

Closed This discussion is closed.

Please contact the Live! Editor if you would like this discussion topic re-opened.

Live!
Live!