Imperial has climbed the international university league table published by THES, reaching 5th place behind Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford and Yale. Harvard takes the top spot, while the other three line up behind in joint second place.
UCL has also made it into the top ten, moving from 25th last year to the 9th place Imperial claimed last year. MIT sits at the bottom of the top universities, in tenth place - fall from joint fourth last year.
Stanford and UC Berkeley both tumbled out of the top ten, falling from 6th to 19th and 8th to 22nd, respectively. European institutions also dropped down the tables.
The top ten was:
- 1 Harvard University (US)
- 2 University of Cambridge (UK)
- = University of Oxford (UK)
- = Yale University (US)
- 5 Imperial College London (UK)
- 6 Princeton University (US)
- 7 California Institute of Technology (US)
- = University of Chicago (US)
- 9 University College London (UK)
- 10 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US)