On 1st May Londoners will go to the polls to choose the Mayor of London of the next four years. Students can still put themselves on the electoral register, but must do so by 16th April 2008.
To register, download the registration form for your borough and complete your details, remembering to state that you are a student, to avoid being taken off the electoral register at your home address.
The candidates running for Mayor of London are listed below - click a name to view the manifesto for that candidate:
- Richard Barnbrook (British National Party)
- Gerard Batten (UK Independence Party)
- Siân Berry (Green Party)
- Alan Craig (Christian Peoples Alliance and Christian Party)
- Lindsey German (Left List)
- Boris Johnson (Conservative Party)
- Ken Livingstone (The Labour Party)
- Winston McKenzie (Independent)
- Matt O'Connor (English Democrats)
- Brian Paddick (Liberal Democrats)
A list of candidates for the London Assembly can be found on the London election website.
On 22nd April ULU will be holding Mayoral Hustings, which everyone is welcome to attend and Live! will be covering. We will also be asking candidates for a "Manifesto for Students", although whether any candidates reply is another matter!
Last week Brian Paddick emerged as a student-friendly candidate, having promised free travel for all full-time students, a move which would dramatically cut the cost of study in London.