Traditionally, to celebrate the end of the year, Wye holds a weeklong event, starting the 20th June, in the formal gardens of the Withersdane Campus, which climaxes in the infamous Commemoration Ball. The formal gardens offer the perfect setting to relax after exams and look forward to summer, whilst having a week of partying and entertainment.
The organisers set up a tent in the centre of the gardens, which houses a bar, serving at normal student prices. The bar is open from 11 every morning and closes with a late licence each night. The programme this year is full and runs as follows:
- FRIDAY 20th: End of Term Celebrations
- SATURDAY 21st: Sports Day
- SUNDAY 22nd: Cricket Match, Cream Tea & Girlies Football v. Rugby Challenge
- MONDAY 23rd: Wye Exec Hustings & WyePAS Dramatic Presentation
- TUESDAY 24th: Clubs AGM, Scavenger Hunt & Mystery Night
- WEDNESDAY 25th: Cricket Match & Meterological Society Disco (undisclosed location)
- THURSDAY 26th: Graduation Ceremony & Beach Party
- FRIDAY 27th: Vintage Car Rally (featuring Bo tbc) & Commemoration Ball
In previous years, Wye Cricket Week has been known for it's complete lack of cricket. However, this year two matches are being held, one home and the other away, and will feature some familiar South Ken names.
The Scavenger Hunt is due to definately go ahead this year, after a few problems last year, and will probably be legal, after some entertaining antics in past years.
The location of the Meterological Society Disco has yet to be announced. It has been suggested, however, by a representative who wishes to remain anonymous, that the night will be held in a quarry near the foot of the North Downs.
The week ends in the Commemoration Disco, which starts at 6pm on the Friday evening and ends with the close of the bar at 6 o'clock the next morning, when a "Survivors Photo" is taken. The evening includes a 3-course meal, magician and other entertainers, 2 live bands, DJ, Wine Bar, free Funfair and a large fireworks display. Dress is Black Tie.