Elections in the Faculty of Natural Sciences, for the Royal College of Science Union positions, are taking place next week. The manifestos for key positions are below, with more available on the voting website.
Voting opens 19th May 00:00 and closes 22nd May 23:59.
The RCSU has made an incredible contribution to life at Imperial. I?ve been a part of the executive from the beginning. By focusing the Union around students the RCSU has rightly become a force for the good. My vision is greater participation with all scientists, providing sporting activities and events for you.
Welfare requires a strong and experienced voice on council and on college led committees. I have been heavily involved in Union politics and have sat on CSB, H&S and internal sub-committees. I am experienced, dedicated and have always gone the extra mile. I will ensure that RCS represents you.
We have done great things this year. My aim is to match and beat them by raising the profile of the RCSU. By creating stronger ties to departmental societies I aim to better cater to the needs of individual students. Bringing the RSCU closer together means a better RCSU for all.
Vice President (Operations)
What needs to be done?
- Get sponsorship to finance RCSU events and activities.
- Be involved in events and activities.
Why vote for me?
- Experience in securing sponsorship from individuals, organisations and companies.
- Raised money for various projects, a NGO and a company.
- As Academic Affairs Officer 07/08 I have represented you at council, the Science Studies Committee and other committees.
- Committed to the RCSU, which is demonstrated by my involvement in a number of RCSU events and activities beyond my responsibilities.
- Organised a book sale, involved in the RCSU survey, Science Challenge and got up at 6AM to help setting up fresher?s fair.
- AND I am already helping to get sponsorship for next year!
Vote ANDREAS ESAU for Vice President Operations.
Vice President (Activities)
EXPERIENCE: In the first year I was part of the ?events team?, proposing and promoting events. As part of the RCSU committee, I have seen and taken part in the planning, funding and promoting of events/activities whilst working alongside the current Vice President. I am therefore not ?green?: I do have first hand experience and am bursting with ideas.
BIGGER AND BETTER ACTIVITES: that?s what we all want, liaising RCSU with other unions for bigger events
EAR FOR STUDENT OPINIONS?. I will always listen to your opinions, views, proposals because ? YOU make the events
ORIGINALITY? Bringing in different and lots of new ideas making you SCREAM for more!!!
DEDICATION? I will be dedicated to YOUR enjoyment, attend all meetings putting all promises to effect!!
This is just a ?taster??
There can and will be more if you vote SWIRI KONJE for
VICE PRESIDENT ACTIVITIES
Well hello there, good people of Imperial College, I am Katya-yani Vyas, a first-year Physics student with a fervour for Science and a rapidly evolving interest in the Imperial social scene, the two areas that the RCSU should be geared towards promoting.
As Vice-President I pledge to bring a new lease of life to the prestigious Royal College of Science Union, instil pride in the subjects that we have chosen to study and organise events that will enable scientists from the different disciplines to integrate (a small mathematical reference for those of you who like such things).
The RCSU is here to remind us that there is more to science at Imperial than simply academics than simply academics and the occasional game of chess (no disrespect to the chess club, I am a great admirer).
A vote for me is a vote for a fresh perspective on the RCSU social scene.
I am a first year biologist and believe I have the desired qualities to be secretary. As senior prefect at school I have managerial and organisation skills which will ensure the smooth running of the union. As an experienced sportswoman I understand the importance of teamwork, meaning I will liaise with all union members ensuring everyone?s opinions are heard. Being a member of the Imperial Hall committee and my school council, I am very familiar with the council meeting setup. As a result I understand the importance of agendas and minute talking, and with excellent computing and writing skills I am adept at both.
To round off, I am enthusiastic in all I do and will work closely with the president ensuring the rapid completion of tasks. Which is why I believe I am the best suited for this role.
No manifesto submitted
I have been ChemSoc secretary and enjoyed every second of it. I?m keen to apply the experience I have gained by being part of the RCSU. The job of honorary secretary will require ultimate organisation and lots of time put in to help RCSU run as smoothly as possible.
I know what it takes to help organise a charity event at London Palladium and keep things organised!
What will I do:
1) Work hard and put the hours in to make sure that clubs and societies are within easy reach of publicising events
2) Put emphasis on the website instead of multiple emails to get information to students
3) 3)Make sure ISCMSU website is up-to-date and detailed so the med school will know what is going on and when
4) Ensure meetings and organisation within the union is as efficient as possible.
I hope that the hard work and dedication
Hi everyone! I am Jackie Fok, a 1st year Biochemist and running for Treasurer. I?m also a proud member of the IC Netball and Basketball team. I was elected as Head Girl in high school and lead the Whole School Council, so am used to representing a range of different people with different needs. I have had experience allocating funds as Head Girl, as well as handling finances for school charities and concerts. I?m definitely a team-player, very approachable and most of all ? trustworthy and detail-orientated!
I vow to:
- Ensure funds are allocated fairly to all societies and groups in the RCSU in the best interest of all students
- Monitor finances rigourously and thoroughly to keep everyone informed
- Make sure that budgeting is done wisely
- Ensure there are sufficient funds for more fabulous events to promote the RCSU, making us proud to be scientists at Imperial
Hi, I?m Ravi.
I study Physics and I want to make a valued contribution to the RCSU. I?m a hard working, down to earth guy with experience managing finances and accounts. For the last two summers I have worked at Fujitsu, with their NHS account team. During my time with Fujitsu I worked on accounts sometimes up to £35 million so I?m more than qualified to be Junior Treasurer of RCSU.
As Treasurer I pledge to:
- Ensure that RCSU is able to fund bigger and better events
- Allocate funds fairly to the benefit of all RCSU members
- Cut costs where possible, releasing funds for more of the RCSU activities.
RON (Re-open Nominations) is standing for all positions
If you think that lot are rubbish, vote for me, RON!