Details of the competition are towards the bottom of this article.
Sport Imperial, the sporting division of Imperial College London, has recently purchase two mascots which were used at the recent BUCS championships and also at Varsity's JPR Williams Cup Match on Wednesday, which Imperial Medicals won 29-13.
Head of Sport Imperial, Niel Mosley, told Live! that the organisation "got the mascots for a great price from a pot [of money] ring fenced for marketing and sponsorship related projects... so they were not at the expense or instead of any investment in student sport which, of course, we are more committed to than ever".
Mosley told Live! that Sport Imperial intends to also use the mascots at children's parties during the summer holidays, in order to generate more money for student sport.
Despite receiving some criticism from students for the seemingly unnecessary purchase, DPCS Jenny Wilson said that the mascots were used at the BUCS championships and that as soon as they appeared at the fencing tournament the children watching began cheering for Imperial immediately.
The two mascots - a boy and a girl lion - are currently as yet unnamed, so Sport Imperial have asked Live! readers to send in suggestions as to names for them.
All you need to do is send names for both of the mascots to [email protected]. When entering, you should take note of the following:
- Names should try to be of a "his and hers" nature, possibly with an Imperial College related theme.
- The lions will be used at Childrens parties, so bear this in mind when dreaming up your names.
- The winning name may be used for the mascots, at Sport Imperial's discretion.
- The reader who submits what the judges deem to be the "best" names will be awarded win a £15 Amazon gift voucher. The judges decision will be final.
- If the winning name is submitted by more than one entrant then the first entry received will be deemed the winner.
The competition closes on Friday, 26th March at 10:00am. All entries should be made by email to [email protected] - your email should state that it is a competition entry in the subject line. The competition is open to all Imperial College students, staff and alumni.